This recipe is inspired by leftover buttermilk that we didn’t want to waste. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think buttermilk is buttermilk fried chicken. The boyfriend came up with the great idea to fry the chicken using coconut oil to make it healthier. Some of the health benefits of coconut oil include: boosting metabolism, improving cholesterol and increasing digestion.
This was our first time frying with coconut oil, and it definitely won’t be the last. I can’t begin to describe how delicious this fried chicken was. The skin was perfectly crispy and the meat was super juicy. Trust me, you need to make this. Right now.
Healthier Fried Chicken
4 pounds chicken (mixture of thighs and drumsticks)
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon basil
- Marinate the chicken in the buttermilk for at least 2 hours.
- Mix flour with garlic powder, paprika, sage and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture.
- Fill a cast iron pan with an inch of coconut oil. Heat the coconut oil to 350°
- Fry the chicken for about 7 minutes. Flip each piece and fry for another 7-8 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place cooked chicken onto a wire rack and sprinkle with salt.