Lately, I’ve been mentally checked out. Between stress from work and the fast approaching wedding, all I’ve been craving is comfort food. It’s probably not the best wedding diet idea, but every now and then you have to treat yourself, right? I did try to make it tad more healthy by using Brown Rice Pasta. I saw it at Trader Joe’s and thought I’d give it a try.
Here are my thoughts on brown rice pasta- It says to cook the pasta for no longer than 8-10 minutes. I cooked it for about 10 minutes and baked it in the oven, and I tasted a bit under cooked to me. It was definitely al dente. My personal preference is to have pasta/noodles on the mushier side (I know, it’s gross). Besides the texture, it didn’t taste any different from regular pasta.
Bacon Mac and Cheese
1 pound brown rice pasta
4 slices bacon
1 ½ cups milk
8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
½ cup Panko
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook the brown rice pasta and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Heat milk on medium high heat. Before the milk begins to boil, add the shredded cheese. When the cheese begins to melt, add the flour.
- Once all the cheese is melted, add salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Add the pasta and transfer into a baking pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Panko. Sprinkle an even layer on the pasta.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.